Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Kitchen update


When I originally purchased my house almost a year ago, I knew right away that I eventually wanted to update my kitchen.




I got a new stainless steel dishwasher for my birthday, so it really got me wanting to do something in there.




I can't afford a complete overhaul, but I did pick up the Rustoleum cabinet kit from Home Depot for $79.00.  I love the look of different color lower and upper cabinets, but I just couldn't commit to doing this completely.  Instead, I picked up two "oops" sample paints, cost $0.50 each to use as an accent color.

This system is a three to four-step process.

Step one - remove doors and hardware - use de-glosser to clean the grime and remove the glossy factory finish from the cabinets.

Step two - two coats of the base color.  As you can see I didn't do much else while I was doing this!!



Step three - add glaze (this is an optional step if you prefer just the painted look).  The lighting is not great, but you can see the difference the glaze made.




Step four - apply the protective top coat - WARNING - the finish scratches really easily until you apply the protective finish, and it is NOT EASY to touch up once the glaze is on, so use extra caution when moving things until you are completely done.

 



 This has been a very easy product to use, but doing it by yourself does take LOTS of time!  I just love the outcome!  Once I can afford it I will add hardware to complete the look.

Here's one last look at the before and after shots:


 

No comments:

Post a Comment